Featured post

VIDA DE-sign by Michael Buckingham, aka Mick Muttley

Dear friends (yeah really, one of those) I have become a women's wear designer for VIDA! http://shopvida.com/collections/voices/ ...

Sunday 23 August 2009

SubVersion Stop 20: Khal - Strictly 4 My Negus (August 2009)

Rock The Dub and dogsonacid.com editor Khal lays down his first 15 Minutes Of Fame contribution: "Strictly 4 My Negus".


01. Intro
02. MF Doom "Hey!"
03. MoodSwingawz "The Blessin'"
04. Reflection Eternal ft. Mos Def & Mr. Man "Fortified Live"
05. Medina Green "Crosstown Beef"
06. Mos Def ft. Talib Kweli "History"
07. Guilty Simpson "Coroner's Music"
08. L.E.G.A.C.Y. ft. Phonte, Chaundon & Sean Price "TKO"
09. Che Grand ft. Tanya Morgan "People Bowling"
10. Tanya Morgan "Bang and Boogie"
11. Elucid "Whirlwind Through Cities"
12. MAGr "Come Home"

Made with ACID Pro 4.0.

Download

What inspired you to make "Strictly 4 My Negus"?

It actually came from what I've been listening to. About two weeks ago I went on a Rawkus kick, finding the "Crosstown Beef" CD single, as well as a digital copy of "Fortified Live". I have been wanting to use that "negus" audio bit, just because it makes me laugh, and it spiralled from there. Notice the 12" version of "Hey!", which differs from the Operation: Doomsday version.

This mix is pretty much what you'd find me listening to, Hip-Hop wise, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. When I do mixes for other sites, it makes me really try to string a cohesive statement... we go from the surprising lyrical skill of Doom, through some classic Rawkus flavor, right into some new Mos Def and Kweli, and then shine on some MCs I feel need exposure, like L.E.G.A.C.Y., Che Grand, Tanya Morgan and Elucid. We cap it off with MAGr; "Come Home" is a great way to end things off, both sonically and content-wise.


How does it differ from your RTD radio mixes?

Well, its shorter, and its more focused. When I do RTD Radio, I'll pack two hours with fresh music alongside some classics. This mix is more personal, more about stuff that I love personally, and artists I want to push.

Can you assure RTD newbies of content they'll enjoy if they like "Strictly 4 My Negus"?

Trust, if you dig that mix, rockthedub.com features a ton of material like that. I've built relationships with the Lessondary crew (Che Grand, Tanya Morgan, Elucid, etc.), MAGr and others, so I periodically post new content from them. I'm a sucker for quality Hip-Hop, and this mix is a prime example of what you can expect from my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment