Sunday, 25 December 2011
01. Favourite track: Nebula - Escapism (Astral Soul, Subtle Audio 005 EP)
02. Favourite album: Grouper - A.I.A: Alien Observer (Yellowelectric)
03. Favourite label: History Always Favours The Winners (James Leyland Kirby)
04. Favourite mixtape: The Daily Street 013: Vandera - 60 Tunes, 60 Minutes, C Minor
05. Favourite SC thread: Statto - other stuff you're interested in
06. Favourite gig: Duotone, Jane Griffiths & Colin Fletcher @ Warneford Chapel, Oxford, 14th June
07. Favourite book: Lucid Dreaming: The Paradox Of Consciousness During Sleep - ed. Celia Green & Charles Mcreery
08. Favourite food (or Snax): Tandoori Masakan Lamb & Mushroom Rice with Peshwari Naan
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: Joking the parents' canine namesake Mutley is Edward Monkton's "Pig Of Happiness" and cheering myself up consequentially
10. Favourite random moment: Watching Mongrels and recalling certain character lines in quiet time
01. Favourite track: Formication - I Dare You (Binad Chorad mix)
02. Favourite album: Alek Stark presents Elektro Domésticos 3
03. Favourite label: Weevil Neighbourhood
04. Favourite mixtape: Heinrich Mueller - Resident Advisor 250
05. Favourite SC thread: Naphta - porn is good for society
06. Favourite gig: Ruins Alone @ Rammel 38, Nottingham, 5th October
07. Favourite book: Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme - ed. Ivan Coyote & Zena Sharman
08. Favourite food (or Snax): Homemade chocolate fridge cake
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: Arguing about sex and gender on blogs and forums
10. Favourite random moment: Finishing whatever big job I've just finished and then doing nothing at all
Fellow Subvert Central Members
01. Favourite track: Ben Howard - Black Flies
02. Favourite album: Ben Howard - Every Kingdom
03. Favourite label: Exit
04. Favourite mixtape: A DJ Flight show
05. Favourite SC thread: One started by Annastay
06. Favourite gig: Ben Howard (I went to one gig this year)
07. Favourite book: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood (I will never watch the film)
08. Favourite food (or Snax): My Bento Boxes :)
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: Making breakbeat Jungle with krusty basses
10. Favourite random moment: Falling in love with Claude Monet, Poplars on the Epte, at the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh (the blue!)
01. Favourite track: Kadzaty Stanislav's talk-show "Uatsamonga". North Ossetian Radio Broadcasting (Ossetian Language).
02. Favourite album: Sly & Robbie - This Is Crucial Reggae (Trojan, 2010)
03. Favourite label: ---
04. Favourite mixtape: Curly Swipes & DJ Euphoria Live on Renegade Radio 13 May, 2011. Oldskool.
05. Favourite SC thread: Statto - other stuff you're interested in
06. Favourite gig: Watching mates Ryan Mystik and Lion Fiyah perform at a bar called Tropics. Reggae at Tropics in general.
07. Favourite book: Chernow, Ron. 2005. Alexander Hamilton. New York: Penguin.
08. Favourite food (or Snax): Coffee
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: Working from home
10. Favourite random moment: Getting stuck at an airport waiting for a 4 hour flight delay, getting battered on ale knowing that my wife was picking me up and driving, then seeing a friend of mine who was the stewardess who gave me a whole empty row of my own for the flight home.
01. Favourite track: It turns out most of the tracks I've been listening to this year have been from last year. I'll give it to LV ft Joshua Idehen - Northern Line for shameless Londoncentricism.
02. Favourite album: Zomby - Dedication (4AD)
03. Favourite label: Hessle Audio, for the compilation "116 And Rising".
04. Favourite mixtape: Royal T Fact Mix
05. Favourite SC thread: One of the Friday threads
06. Favourite gig: Past Present Future Space Time festival @ Wysing Arts Centre
07. Favourite book: Tillie Olsen - Tell Me A Riddle
08. Favourite food (or Snax): too many to list, but Shana Frozen Parathas edge it.
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: godawful electro-house-rap-pop on Kiss FM at the climbing wall. Pitbull, LMFAO, Afrojack, Katy Perry, the lot...
10. Favourite random moment: seeing Sunburned Hand of Man doing their STUNNING live accompaniment to Invasion of Thunderbolt Pagoda in a Labour Club in Cambridge with regulars playing pool at the other end of the bar as if nothing unusual was going on...
01. Favourite track: M83 - Midnight City
02. Favourite album: M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming
03. Favourite label: Scientific Wax
04. Favourite mixtape: Mav's 6 hour Seba mix
05. Favourite SC thread: A Friday thread
06. Favourite gig: Supporting Remarc @ Hole In The Wall, Exeter
07. Favourite book: Comte de Lautréamont - Les Chants De Maldoror
08. Favourite food (or Snax): Morrocan topped Hummus
09. Favourite guilty pleasure: Too much synth pop
10. Favourite random moment: Getting booked to warm up for a Filipino comedy duo
SC thread with additional information
Thursday, 15 December 2011
Two people sharing time together, swimming and fishing, science, mental and physical health, sociology, language, chronology, competitiveness, computer games, gardening, travel; all these things my folks allowed me in some way or another, and those subjects make their way into track titles in "Seeds Of Inspiration". I made this for their 15th wedding anniversary, falling this Saturday. The music concurrently inspires me to get up and stimulate myself with fresh experiences, whether that walking to unforeseen areas of the city, gigging, journalling, review writing, or reading books. Plus, my fusions here cast illusion to things being "new" - until I've worn out the mixtape that is. Maybe this will plant seeds of inspiration in you as well.
00:00 Will Long - 2 (Rosy Reflections MC40, Avant Archive, 2011)
00:00 Alio Die & Amelia Cuni - Water Memories (Apsaras LP, Projekt, 2001)
04:30 Carbon Based Lifeforms - Held Together By Gravity (TwentyThree LP, Ultimae, 2011)
06:00 A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Steep Hills Of Vicodin Tears (Self-titled LP, Erased Tapes, 2011)
07:31 Mike Patton - 53-Weight Of Consequences (The Solitude Of Prime Numbers LP, Ipecac, 2011)
10:54 Jo Quail - Rex Infractus (From The Sea LP, Self-released, 2010)
14:39 Library Tapes - May [Variation] (Kanshin LP, Kanshin, 2011)
15:32 Three Metre Day - We Now Hope We Win (Coasting Notes LP, Self-released, 2011)
22:39 Lana Del Ray - Video Games (Video Games Single, Stranger Records, 2011)
23:03 David Tagg - Canna (Dream Compost EP, Self-released, 2011)
27:14 Fleet Foxes - Grown Ocean (Helplessness Blues LP, Sub Pop, 2011)
Hear it here
Friday, 2 December 2011
Sparked by Statto's "Agony Aunt Thread" on Subvert Central, where he links Clarisse Thorn's "How To Break Up And Take It Like A Champ", "Hurt" came together in less than a day, designed as a movement-based archetype model, of sound that will assist listeners overcoming their heartache. Myself: I've been hurt by three women in the last three annums; the first through unintelligence, the second lack of maturity, and the third: where we drifted apart as friends despite my best efforts. Vowing to never contact again last month, it made sense to sculpt something where areas of downfall are depicted and possibly improved. In doing so, you can map areas of Clarisse's article to lyrics in the mixtape, emotions you received, and dispelling grief.
Movement 1 - 00:00 - 07:00 - Bitter Energy
00:00 Ekca Liena - Landing (Downer Supine CD-R, Entropy, 2011)
00:14 Paul Jebanasam - Music For The Church Of St. John The Baptist (Bristol Old Wall live recording, Sublive, 2011)
02:19 Joe McMahon - Empty Sidewalks (3AM LP, Earth Mantra, 2011)
03:01 Cindytalk - Floating Clouds (Hold Everything Dear LP, Editions Mego, 2011)
05:18 Bruno Sanfilippo - Spirit Allies (Subliminal Pulse LP, Wanderings, 2011)
Movement 2 - 07:00 - 15:12 - The Romancer
08:04 - A Winged Victory For The Sullen - A Symphony Pathetique (A Winged Victory For The Sullen LP, Erased Tapes, 2011)
12:42 Thomas Dolby - Love Is A Loaded Pistol (A Map Of The Floating City LP, EMI, 2011)
Movement 3 - 15:12 - 24:19 - Cadence The Pistol
15:24 Matt Bartram - Cadence (The Dreaming Invisible....... LP, Drifting Falling, 2011)
16:32 Little Dragon - Seconds (Ritual Union LP, Sony Music, 2011)
20:48 Chapel Club - O Maybe I (Palace LP, Polydor, 2011)