Featured post

VIDA DE-sign by Michael Buckingham, aka Mick Muttley

Dear friends (yeah really, one of those) I have become a women's wear designer for VIDA! http://shopvida.com/collections/voices/ ...

Tuesday 26 May 2020

An Open Letter To The Wire about Bark Psychosis, and symbolically, psychosis in general

"Now she's gone to ground, now she's gone, she's sticking around / "she can't be found, to ground"

Where did I lift this lyric? It's from Graham of Bark Psychosis, and I think it's apt for much of their ambient rock, minus soft rock style of the post-rock idioms of their alternative remix EPs, and their LP, "From What Is Said To When It's Read". Back then, from research as I did not get into BPsy until 2001, the granular richness of their records became truly spellbinding.
I think what it was, most of all, was the concentric regard for a good song. Not quite, not quite a tufty bygone lyric exercise, but something that germinates from its roots into a mellifluous, stodgy Golden Syrup porridge, enjoyable whether you milk or water the contents. Yes, that was it. And nothing has really stuck with me the same since. At least in post rock. Mogwai, Mono and Godspeed might have the bombs, ASMZ and Rival Consoles might have the wonder, and Penguin Cafe Orch and the Denovali catalogue at large might have the jazz, but I dunno; Graham's way with a good vocal, and a non-whiny voice really set Bark Psychosis apart at the time, and surely long before I even registered them. That, was a good era.





No comments:

Post a Comment