Featured post

VIDA DE-sign by Michael Buckingham, aka Mick Muttley

Dear friends (yeah really, one of those) I have become a women's wear designer for VIDA! http://shopvida.com/collections/voices/ ...

Friday 29 May 2020

Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children Vinyl

Just got the first (1st pressing) catalogue edition "Skalp" of Boards Of Canada (BOC)'s "Music Has The Right to" LP.  I have wanted to own this artifact on dubplate, acetate or plain record for more than 15 years. Now I have a dub vinyl. I use the term dub vinyl because there's little variation from the original pressing, but enough to keep it fresh.
The pressing quality is good. I got it from Truck Store Oxford. The vinyl sounds better than the digital. It's of course warmer, but very clear, at the same time. And punchy, too, but not so that the drums swamp the mix.

To me MHTRTC was always BOC's best album. There were two EPs before its official release in 1995. I think those were "Twoism" and "Hi Scores". Also very good releases. Especially for "Happy Cycling" and "Oirectine".

For me personally, the early stuff was when they were itchy, untamed and scratchy.
Then as they smoothed out, they got itchy and scratchy but were tamed by then.
It's also worth noting the type of anti-austerity mix and mash of the vinyl sides on this repressing 25 years on.

"Rhombuses And Triangles", one of the interleaves from Twoism EP, closes side 1 of 4. A fitting serenade. I wanted to provide audio linked in my post like I used to do, but YouTube's reliance on its subscription is beating me. So you'll have to make do with these words. It's all very well put together as incidental music sequences go.

Honestly, "Music has The Right" is one of the finest albums by older electronic musicians I've ever come across in life. It's just right. Like it has the right. And like that it uses that right. The right of music. Giving plans to children. Even if you never plan to raise children yourself (I don't want kids), Boards Of Canada provide a good working score. Sit back with a glass of water, a doctor's apple and a lime and sprinkle over your glass the essence of true British vim.
One for the home bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment